If you happen to be a frequent traveler, then you may have an interest in the many airports that there are. Knowing the difference between each airport and the benefits of flying through each, especially if you happen to live in the New York environs, can save you so much stress.
In this buzzing city, you should know that there are three main airports located in different areas of the city. Below you’ll find information about New York airports and relevant information you should know in case you’re traveling.
John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
One of the first things you may be wondering is which airport is best to fly from in New York. You would first need to think about what makes an airport good. Some things that may come to mind are accessibility, distance, parking, and restaurants. With that being said, one of the first airports in New York this article will explore is John F Kennedy.
JFK is said to be one of the largest and best served airports in the NY metro area and is located in Southern Queens. If you’re wondering which airlines go there, you will see a number such as US Airlines, American, Delta, JetBlue, or Virgin America to mention a few. It’s about a $60 Uber away from Times Square and not ideal if you’re going to upper Manhattan.
Here are a few ways that you can get to the airport from wherever you are.
- Airtrain + Subway: For those traveling light, consider traveling by public transport as it could work out cheaper and you don’t have to worry about traffic. You could take the AirTran which will take you to ether Howard Beach or Jamaica and the fee is only $5 on the AirTran and $2.25 on the subway. This is pretty affordable and ideal for anyone on a budget.
- Taxi: If you have luggage, then a cab is likely the most convenient way to get to the airport. It could cost anywhere from a $45 flat fare but much more if you’re trying to get there during rush hour.
- Shuttle Services: For a cheaper alternative to a taxi, why not try a shared ride shuttle service? The only con of this is that you have to drop other people off on the way, so you need to leave early enough to reach the airport on time.
La Guardia International Airport (LGA)
The smallest of the three New York airports, La Guardia is about 10km from Manhattan and located in northern Queens. In order to be allowed at that airport, flights typically have to be shorter than 2400km away, but Denver is the exception to this rule at 2,600 km away. This rule is here to help prevent overcrowding at the airport. As done above, you will find transport options to the airport below.
- Bus: Unlike with JFK airport, there is only one public transport option to La Guardia and it’s the M60 bus.
- Taxi: The taxi to La Guardia, you’re going to spend more than you would if you took one to JFK. It’s going to cost anywhere from $25-35 to get to Manhattan but also consider the cost of tolls and tips.
If you want to do a JFK vs LGA debate, you’ll find that one is far bigger and busier than the other, so it depends on where you’ll be flying to and how accessible each one is.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
The last airport of the New York airports that you need to know about is Newark Liberty International Airport which is located in New Jersey. However, it’s about 15 miles from Manhattan. The main airlines that you’ll find in this airport are Continental, JetBlue, and American. The good thing about this airport is that it has three terminals and is slightly easier to get to than JFK as a result.
In terms of convenience, if you’ll be needing access to or heading towards any financial area near the World Trade Center or Wall Street, it’s a great airport option. Find out how you can get to the airport by taxi and other means here.
- Taxi: This is probably the most expensive airports in New York to travel to as it’s going to cost you anywhere from $50-$60. As mentioned earlier, don’t forget to include any tolls and tips in that figure as well.
- AirTran + Train: Of all of the airports, Newark is the only New York area airport that has a train connection. The AirTran will get you to the airport train station for around $5.50 and from the train station, you’ll need to take the NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station. This is an affordable option, and it can be relatively shorter compared to the others.
Airports may seem like a trivial topic but knowing as much as you can about them when you’re traveling can save you so much stress. It’s crucial that you’re well-informed about what each airport offers so that you can make your travel experience as smooth as possible.